Helping you get smarter on African tech.
The Flip explores contextually relevant stories from entrepreneurs changing the status quo in Africa. We aggregate, distill, and disseminate the wisdom from those who have “been there and done that”, to help other entrepreneurs, investors, and ecosystem players understand the nuances and complexities of scaling a tech startup on the African continent.
Join over 1500+ subscribers and enter your email below.
The Flip’s narrative podcast episodes explore one theme, with insights from a multidisciplinary set of contributors from across sectors and geographies. At the end of each episode, The Flip’s Founder, Justin Norman, has a retrospective conversation with Executive Producer, Sayo Folawiyo, to try to make sense of what was shared. The episodes bring much-needed context to the ecosystem’s discourse.
We’ve interviewed founders of $100 million-plus tech companies, mobile money executives, investors across every stage of investment, and everything in between.
Check out some of our popular episodes:
- Inside the Stripe Acquisition of Paystack with Shola Akinlade & Matt Henderson
- Co-Building The Future – High-Touch Venture Investing
- Telcos, PalmPay, and the Future of Mobile Financial Services
- Much Ado About the Media
- A Fintech Exit – Inside the MFS Africa Acquisition of Beyonic
- Connecting the Dots – Japanese Corporates and African Tech
Or explore the episode archive.
And don’t forget to subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts –
The Flip Notes
Building a startup is hard. We share bite-sized, contextually relevant insights and stories to try to make building on the continent a little bit easier.
Straight to your inbox every Sunday. Subscribe here and see what you’ve been missing.
Long(er)-form analysis on the how and the why.
Here are some of our more popular pieces:
- What’s the difference between accelerators, incubators, and venture builders?
- Where are the flying cars?
- Marchetti’s Motorcycles Redux – Pricing for price-sensitive markets
- Why are Paga and Migo expanding to Latin America? A data-driven exploration of the Global South
- If you build it, nonconsumers will come
- Pinduoduo and the social commerce opportunity
You can also check out the entire archive, or search by topic or company.
About The Flip
The Flip was founded by Justin Norman, an American entrepreneur living in South Africa. After quickly learning that his entrepreneurial education, aided and abetted by Silicon Valley-style thought leadership, was not contextually relevant for the African market, its nuances or its complexities, Justin started talking to and learning from founders. Those conversations turned into a narrative podcast – The Flip.
The name The Flip comes from the opportunity to flip the script – to question some of the pervasive narratives on entrepreneurship and champion the entrepreneurs building a future inspired by Africa.